In this episode, I have a blast talking travel with Tom Edwards, the globetrotting blogging musician behind Tune Up and Travel.
Tom left behind the sedentary life in small-town Ohio for a life of adventure and travel. Leaving behind a corporate career with Verizon, he picked up a guitar, summoned two friends, and hit the road.
Woefully unprepared, and with pipe dreams, they quickly encountered the harsh reality: the world was bigger than they’d imagined, and travel isn’t all white sands and beaches, especially for three young Ohio musicians on a budget.
Among other things, he’s train-hopped, busked as a street musician, and slept under bridges. He’s been adopted by pet emus and been drug along (no pun intended) for business deals with Swiss drug lords while hitchhiking.
What’s unique and special about Tom is how he applies good humor and a general magnanimity to whatever situation life (or the world at large) presents. He has a “take it as it comes” attitude and we can all learn something from his example.
Some of the things we talk about:
- Important life lessons Tom has learned from romping around the world
- How travel changes you and makes you a different person
- Tom’s best advice for earning money remotely as a freelancer
- Why you should never accept food from an emu (hint: mute this part if you’re squeamish)
- Tom’s most interesting and hilarious travel accounts
- Plus more!
Tom and his friends paid their dues and made many sacrifices, but gained something much more.
We had a great rapport during this interview as we discuss the exhilarating highs and lows of this lifestyle, and share a few laughs. Enjoy! 🙂