“If you’re gonna make it in this world you’ve got to focus. That’s the biggest thing I’ve learnt.”
– Ben Worthington, digital nomad and entrepreneur
In this episode I’m joined by Ben Worthington, a new friend and kindred spirit from the UK who hosts the IELTS podcast. He’s also a member of the Dynamite Circle, and we met recently at a DC meetup in Bangkok and became fast friends.
I love Ben’s background because he went from moving abroad to Spain to teach English for a few years, then transitioned into private teaching where he was self-employed and making more money (and – he came up with a brilliantly devious way to market himself), and then finally to where he is now where he’s leveraged his skills and experiences into a brand and product-oriented business.
So he’s evolved from employee to self-employed to entrepreneur in a really sustained and deliberate way, and done very well for himself. I think it’s a great model to follow if you’re looking for practical advice from someone who’s just a few steps ahead in the journey.
Ben and I had a really solid rapport during this conversation, and discussed some pretty profound and deep insights about breaking free from convention, leading a goal-oriented life, why individuals fail (and what failure really means), and how to beat your insecurities to realize true success.
We discuss a variety of weighty topics such as:
- Ben’s step-by-step journey from employee, to intrapreneur, to consultant, to entrepreneur and digital nomad
- The dangers of social pressure to make us conform, think and live small, and how to break free from it
- Ben’s failed ventures – the #1 reason why they failed – and how it’s made him who he is today
- A hilarious marketing experiment, and tips to optimize paid advertisements to establish your coaching or consulting business
- How to cultivate an unstoppable mindset for success
- How to become hater and critic-proof (and why it’s really about them)
- Fear-setting and future pacing to make significant changes in your life
- A simple strategy to create the best product in any market
- How to build up your platform online – and what to expect along the way
- How to overcome your own inner resistance to do what you need to do
- How to automate social media marketing
- And a whole lot more!
Enjoy this excellent interview with Ben Worthington! If you love our podcast, please consider writing a review on iTunes, it introduces new people to the show and encourages us to continue 🙂